0.91g and Kingston KNE100TX problems

Kevin Myer kevin_myer@elanco.k12.pa.us
Wed Jul 28 16:29:58 1999

On Wed, 28 Jul 1999, Donald Becker wrote:

> Acckkkk!!!  That's horribly bad.
> Check that your cables are paired correctly.
> Check /proc/net/dev to see what category the errors are in.

Cables look ok.

> Some is horribly, horribly, wrong.

Yep

> > Its probably not coincidence that on both machines, the errors are always
> > occuring when transmitting.  It almost seems like a problem with a
> > mismatch in duplex between the cards and the switch but mii-diag reports
> > on both machines:

That is indeed the problem and I think I actually might have gotten that
far yesterday but it was late and I had had it with the cards.  I just got
done upgrading to RedHat 6.0 on marble (which is my workstation) so I
downloaded and recompiled tulip-diag (its around here somewhere on my old
disk but..)

tulip-diag reports (on both machines):

[root@marble myer]# ./tulip-diag -mf
tulip-diag.c:v1.10 4/12/99 Donald Becker (becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov)
Index #1: Found a Digital DS21143 Tulip adapter at 0xec00.
 Port selection is MII, half-duplex.
 Transmit started, Receive started, half-duplex.
  The Rx process state is 'Waiting for packets'.
  The Tx process state is 'Idle'.
  The transmit threshold is 128.
 MII PHY found at address 1, status 0x782d.
  Internal autonegotiation state is 'Autonegotiation disabled'.

I'm not entirely thrilled with the switch's autonegotiation ability
(Asante 6014DSB) but I know I had these things working at one point at
100baseTX-FD with no errors.

Any ideas of where to go from here or what to try next?  Is a short term
fix to force both the card and the switch to do 100/FD?

Thanks,

Kevin

--
     ~        Kevin M. Myer