21143:Asymmetric result

Donald Becker becker@cesdis1.gsfc.nasa.gov
Sat Jul 10 22:21:39 1999

On Sat, 10 Jul 1999, devdrvr wrote:

> With the 21143-TD or PD what is the right way to specify to one versus the
> other?

For almost all uses you shouldn't need to specify anything.  Just leave the
setting at the default at 0, "autonegotiate/autoselect".

The reasons for overriding the default media type:
  Some older cards didn't have a transceiver table in the serial ROM.
  A few current cards don't have correct tables.
  Older switches and 21140-SYM cards can't autonegotiate full duplex.

>  I have a MII transceiver on a CardBus card (I think) and I want to make
> it work.  What is the official way to know for your PHY which one you are
> dealing with; glean it from the manual is my guess?

The driver emits the transceiver type(s) in the detection message.

> Do you know a place that discusses the history of the transceiver types?

Hmmm, mostly old datasheets, trade rags and product announcements.

Donald Becker					  becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center,  Greenbelt, MD.  20771
301-286-0882	     http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/people/becker/whoiam.html