21143:Asymmetric result

Donald Becker becker@cesdis1.gsfc.nasa.gov
Sat Jul 10 16:26:22 1999

On Sat, 10 Jul 1999 hyun2@dirac.uos.ac.kr wrote:

> Recently I bought a card from dintek(taiwan) based on 21142PD. I installed
> it on a x86 machine and connect to another machine with 3com905-TX using
> a twisted cable.
>
> Using a tulip drive 0.91e  I could make my machine to get network. Then
> I tested transfer rate using ttcp. I get an asymmetric result. From tulip
> to 3com:10217.37 KB/sec, while from 3com to tulip: 185.41 KB/sec. Yes
> there is factor five or six difference.
> I have enabled the tulip module with the option
> options=5  debug=3.

That's your problem.
You have specified the SYM transceiver type, when you have a MII
transceiver.
The link will work properly if you use the default setting and allow the
duplex to be negotiated.

Donald Becker					  becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center,  Greenbelt, MD.  20771
301-286-0882	     http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/people/becker/whoiam.html