Linksys Cardbus and .90k

Nicholas Jenkins Nicholas.S.Jenkins@cdc.com
Mon Feb 22 15:04:29 1999

In short, you're right about performance!

> Once I fixed the EEPROM_SIZE and ADDRLEN problems, it started
> working.  But, I don't get any performance at all.  I can only pull
> 15-20Kbps through an ftp.  By contrast, DOS can pull 400Kbps on the
> same link and another linux machine on the same hub can pull 500Kbps.
> So I suspect there's still a problem here somewhere, although I'm not
> sure where.

After reading your response, I started up my
favorite tulip driver :), and ran some ftp
tests to get an idea of performance.

On a lightly-used 10BT segment with approximately
20 machines connected via an unmanaged hub, over
2 15 minute periods, I got the following responses:

ftp from linux to machines -
between 40kBytes and 90Kbytes/sec. = 3.2% - 7.2% of
theoretical maximum on the segment.

ftp from DOS box in Win98 to machines -
between 295 kBytes and 667 Kbytes/sec. = 23.7% - 53.4% of
theoretical maximum on the segment.

Since this was not on a switched segment, even if we assume
the 667 was ~= to 100% of theoretical maximum - given
available bandwidth of the shared segment, it would still
mean that the linux version of the driver was only operating
at 13.5% efficiency.

Any thoughts on improving this?  BTW - I'm just happy to have
the driver working each and every time I start up the machine -
something of a rarety until the .90p driver.  Performance
is a secondary issue to reliability  - a least with me.

-NICK