netgear FA310TX/tulip problem

Aaron Stromas astromas@us.oracle.com
Wed Feb 10 07:25:15 1999

hi,

i need help with getting my ethernet netgear fa310tx card to work on my
linux 2.0.34 system. i think, i managed to compile the driver correctly,
when i installed it in /lib/modules/2.0.34/net and run 'depmod -a' i got
no complaints. however, after loading it ("insmod tulip") and as soon as
i bring the eth0 interface up (as in /etc/init.d/network commands below)
a stream of errors like these is output on the console: "eth0: The
transmitter stopped! CSR5 is 606902a, CSR6 1a6c002".
 i found the tulip-diag program, compiled it, and when i ran it i got
this:

  tulip-diag.c:v1.07 2/10/99 Donald Becker (becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov)

  Unable to find a Tulip card in /proc/pci.
  If there is a Tulip card in the machine, explicitly set the I/O port
address using '-p <ioaddr>

indeed, /proc/pci says
  PCI devices found:
      Bus 0, device 10, function 0:
          Ethernet controller: unknown vendor LNE100TX (rev 33)
             Medium devsel. Fast back-to-back capable. IRQ 9. Master
Capable. Latency=64
             I/O at 0x6c00.
             Non-prefetchable 32 memory at 0xe4000000.

from my limited understanding, this is a pci card so it should have been
detected, should it not?

then i ran "tulip-diag -p 0x6c00" which produced

  tulip-diag.c:v1.07 2/10/99 Donald Becker (becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov)

  Port selection is 10mbps-serial 100baseTx scrambler, half-duplex.
  Transmit stopped, Receive stopped, half-duplex.
    The Rx process state is 'Stopped'.
    The Tx process state is 'Stopped'.
    The transmit theshold is 72.
  Use '-a' to show device registers,
         '-e' to show EEPROM contents,
    or  '-m' to show MII management registers.

i'm afraid, all that information does not give _me_ a clue as to what
needs to be done. can someone help? thanks in advance.

/etc/init.d/network:

#!/bin/sh
ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
route add -net 127.0.0.0

IPADDR=138.2.69.230
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
BROADCAST=138.2.69.255
NETWORK=138.2.69.0
GATEWAY=138.2.69.1

ifconfig eth0 inet ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK} broadcast ${BROADCAST}
up
route add -net ${NETWORK}
route add default gw ${GATEWAY} metric 1
--
Aaron Stromas     |   "Tick-tick-tick!!!... ja, Pantani is weg...."
Oracle Corp.        |       BRTN commentator, L'Alpe d'Huez, 1995 Tour