Problem with Tulip driver

John Marr jmarr@longisland.com
Tue Dec 14 22:37:05 1999

Greetings:
After successfully getting my Linksys Etherfast 10/100 card to work in
Redhat 6.0, I decided to upgrade to Redhat 6.1.  To make a long story
short, I ended up doing a clean install, and I proceeded to set up my
network card.  The tulip driver that came with redhat 6.1 refused to load
(failed) at bootup, so I downloaded the latest tulip driver (the same one I
successfully got to work with redhat 6.0).  After placing tulip.c in the
/usr/src/2.2.12/modules/net and a freshly compiled tulip.o in the
/lib/modules/2.2.12-20/net, I added "alias eth0 tulip" to my conf.modules.
 I recompiled my whole source code plus modules plus modules_install then I
rebooted.  The system (which is an AMD K6-2 300 with 192 Mgs of ram) loaded
all of the startup drivers quickly until it got to "bring up interface
eth0."  At this point the system hung for 10 seconds, then after stating
"OK" continued to load the drivers but now much MUCH more slowly (about 5
seconds for each OK.)  Shortly thereafter, I continued to receive the
following broadcasted error:
"Tx hung, 9 vs. 0 Transmit timed out, status e4560000, CSR12 000000CC,
resetting"
This continued until I finally managed to reboot.
Any ideas what the problem could be?