Kingston KNE100TX and the tulip driver

Justin Georgeson jgeorgeson@acm.org
Mon Apr 26 17:41:35 1999

Alright, I have 9 machines with these cards and I'm putting Linux on them. The
problem that I'm having is this, everything seems to load fine (all the network
modules load without error messages) and ifconfig reports that eth0 is up. I can
ping/telnet/ftp/whatever to myself. I can't ping anyone else and nobody can ping
me. I checked that the IP was free before assigning it. I know the DNS servers
are listed correctly, linuxconf says to use files then DNS for name resolution,
but I don't think it's name resolution because pinging an IP doesn't work. It's
not bad hardware because I can do the transmit/receive test with these machines,
which should also rule out problems with the cards negotiating with the hubs,
which are cabletron 10 Mbps. Using the Kingstion programs the cards were able to
autodetect 10Mbps, half duplex so I'm quite sure it's not a NIC/hub clash. The
cables are CAT 5 and good, I tried 3 different cables with the machine, nothing.
I can provide the output from the tulip-diag if someone would like. The problem
is, I'm not even sure it's the card, I experienced a similar problem with an SMC
10 Mbps ISA card, the Kingstons are PCI BTW. I double checked for IRQ/IO port
conflicts, I'm okay there. Please help.

 Justin Georgeson
 Institute for Advanced Technology -- System Administrator
 University of Texas at Austin -- Dept. of Computer Science
 http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/pyros
 jgeorgeson@acm.org