Tulip based Network Adapter

Donald Becker becker@cesdis1.gsfc.nasa.gov
Fri Apr 9 08:43:48 1999

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Metod Kozelj wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, HO Soo-Khim wrote:
> > Whenever I have two network adapters, one Tulip-based Network Adapter
> > (DEC 21143) and
> > one RTL8139 based Network Adapter (Both PCI). The moment I reboot the
> > system, the system
> > always bind eth0 to the Tulip based Network Adapter. Regardless of which
> > PCI slot that I placed
> > the Tulip-based Network Adapter (Can be IRQ 10 or 11).
> >
> > If I used two Tulip-based Network Adapters, the eth0 is alway bind to
> > Network Adapter at IRQ 11.
> > But with two RTL8139 based Network Adpaters, the eth0 is alway bind to
> > the Network Adapter at
> > IRQ 10.
>
> The order of NICs mapping to eth devices is bound to the order the drivers
> are loaded. If the tulip driver is loaded prior to some other, then eth0
> will be tulip card. The NICs, drivern by the same driver, are mapped to
> eth devices according to their MAC I believe.

Correction: PCI drivers will detect all matching cards in PCI bus order.
The order the probes are done for built-in drivers is set in
  drivers/net/Space.c
The order the probes are done for module drivers is typically set in
 /etc/conf.modules.

[[ The 3c509 driver is unique in activating cards in MAC address order -- it
uses the MAC address as the unique identifier when doing "contention-select"
during the card detection process. ]]

Donald Becker					  becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center,  Greenbelt, MD.  20771
301-286-0882	     http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/people/becker/whoiam.html