v0.90 driver now available for test

Donald Becker becker@cesdis1.gsfc.nasa.gov
Tue Oct 20 22:21:37 1998

I've just made v0.90 of tulip.c available for testing on
  ftp://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/linux/drivers/test/tulip.c

It makes the following changes:

 21143:
   Masks upper bits on the Rx packet size to work with the new DS21143-PC chip.

   Initializes SIA registers on the 21143 that prevent a MII transceiver
   from being detected with certain chip revs.

   Once again runs the reset and initialization sequence for 21143 boards
   with MII transceivers.  This is required on a few boards, like the
   Adaptec 6911, which use GPIO outputs to enable the transceiver power.

   Use full-power mode: the recommended 21143 snooze mode doesn't work with
   the TDK transceiver which requires a continuously stable transmit clock.

 PNIC:
   Bug fix for reading MII transceiver registers on PNIC-168 chip boards.
   (The PNIC-169 has working hardware.)

 MXIC:
   Various MXIC 98713 fixes (see below).

I've a bunch of time tracking down the MXIC problems for this version.
There were several:

  I had thought that the duplicate receive packets were related to my
  receive descriptor list structure, or some subtle timing issue when
  manipulating the list.  After putting in zillions of consistency checks
  I found that what was realling happing was that the 98713 occasionally
  just dumps its Rx FIFO contents from the beginning.
  The fix is the one suggested by Steve Chen from Macronix: setting the
  undocumented CSR16 register to the magic value of 0x0F37****.

  The MXIC actually takes 256 bytes of I/O space, not 128.

  The fix for media selection was to have the MX98713 ignore the EEPROM
  media table.   While the media table looks exactly like that of a 21140,
  and the datasheet describes it as such, the '713 actually has a hidden
  NWay autonegotiation engine that's only confused if the driver tries to do
  media selection.

I'll be at the Atlanta Linux Showcase this weekend...

Donald Becker					  becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center,  Greenbelt, MD.  20771
301-286-0882	     http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/people/becker/whoiam.html