Who now

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham@ThePLAnet.net
Fri Nov 6 07:58:07 1998

Just to add our position....

We have been using Kingston KNE40BTs then KNE100TX cards for a good time
now with no problems other than when one of the Digital chip subversions
broke things.

They were good cards, reliable and well priced.

However following the latest set of stuff from Kingston we will use their
cards no long - especially for 100BaseT.

Kingston change the card design too regularly - both the Digital ASIC core
and the support.  This makes them inconsistant.

Of the recent batch we are getting something around 10% or higher of
failures.  Some are DOAs.  The majority of failures break after around 2
days or less service (transceiver appears to fail).

Added to this, recent KNE100TX do not work well at 100BaseT - it appears
that they have much lower noise tolerance and even with properly specified
*good* cabling, short runs and a direct link into Cisco switches, the
packet loss is appreciable.   TLAN based cards (Compaq internal network
interfaces) give flawless results on the same wire.

We are not confident in the KNE110 series cards using a non-digitial ASIC
core with some interesting characteristics (first attempt blasted packets
continuously onto the network on boot-up, a move to the then most recent
Tulip driver made it mostly work).  The obvious cost cutting on the card
leads us to expect these to also be unstable.

So we are currently looking for alternatives that work well and give us a
warm and fuzzy but reliable feeling.

	Nigel.

--
[ Nigel.Metheringham@theplanet.net   -  Systems Software Engineer ]
[ Tel : +44 113 207 6112                   Fax : +44 113 234 6065 ]