Something Wicked happened?

Jon Lewis jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net
Thu Nov 5 03:53:19 1998

On Thu, 5 Nov 1998, Donald Becker wrote:

> > Nov  5 13:50:35 hammerhead kernel: eth3: Something Wicked happened!
> > ffffffff.
>
> The chip is gone!  Probably reset itself or is horribly hung.

My NT-admin co-worker joked that it looked similar to NT error messages
that generally don't tell much i.e. "An internal error has occured."

> Yup, look like it's marginal at best.
> I wouldn't trust it in a box that had to be reliable.

I'll just RMA it or have someone RMA it.  It's brand new, and shouldn't be
doing wicked things.

> I once got several cards from Boca, all with the same MAC address.  I could
> have reprogrammed them, but I sent them back so that they could fix their

What's involved in doing that?  I just got a second (probably third) hand
Sun IPX with Powerup chip (gonna play with solaris and RH-Sparc) and the
MAC address is 00:80:20:C0:FF:EE.  I thought I just got lucky, but someone
suggested that a previous owner must have reprogrammed the MAC address.

BTW...thanks for the really fast response.

Also...wife just got me a GPS-III for my birthday, so now I can track
myself driving in circles too :)

---dont't waste your cpu, crack rc5...www.distributed.net team enzo---
 Jon Lewis <jlewis@fdt.net>  |  Spammers will be winnuked or
 Network Administrator       |  nestea'd...whatever it takes
 Florida Digital Turnpike    |  to get the job done.
______http://inorganic5.fdt.net/~jlewis/pgp for PGP public key________