Is this a PCI problem, or a tulip problem...

Donald Becker becker@cesdis1.gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Nov 5 03:08:03 1998

On Wed, 4 Nov 1998, Bryan Scaringe wrote:

> I am having a miserable time getting this card working.
> I am 99% sure it is a 21*4* based card.  I can't insmod

What is the part number on the chip?
Why do believe that it's a 21*4* card?

> >   Bus  0, device   9, function  0:
> >     Ethernet controller: Unknown vendor Unknown device (rev 16).
> >       Vendor id=10ac. Device id=0.
> >       Medium devsel.  IRQ 191.  Master Capable.  Latency=64.  Min Gnt=32.Max Lat=64.
> >       I/O at 0x0.
> > We're interested in the first item.
> > Notice the I/O base. 0x0 !  I assume this is wrong.
> > also notice the IRQ. 191 ! Not good!

Yup.  The APIC code in 2.1.12* might assign an artificial high IRQ number,
but an unassigned I/O address is obviously wrong.
A device ID of 0 is likely wrong as well.

Check that the card is fully plugged into the PCI slot.

Donald Becker					  becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center,  Greenbelt, MD.  20771
301-286-0882	     http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/people/becker/whoiam.html