Slow transfer with 21140 card

Mark Fardal fardal@weka.phast.umass.edu
Thu Jul 23 15:39:04 1998

Hi,

here's the daily update on our 100Mbit/s -> 5Mbit/s problem.  :->

We tried a new ethernet card we got in the mail, with no change.  This
was not surprising, since earlier we had put in a card that was known
to be working with no effect.

The local guru tried telling the driver specifically what transmission
to use,
[in /etc/conf.modules]
  options tulip options=14 debug=3
[provoking in dmesg]
  Using user-specified media MII 100baseTx-FD.
with no effect.

He also switched in different kernels--I know 2.0.32 was one, think there
were more recent ones as well--on my machine and on the other that is
experiencing the problem.  No effect.

One thing I did not indicate before is that ttcp -u runs fast (90 Mbit/s)
transmitting both from and to my machine.  ttcp without -u is slow in
both directions.

A question I have is, are these messages normal with debug=6 or do
they indicate that I have a problem?

  Jul 23 01:28:17 weka kernel: eth0: exiting interrupt, csr5=0xfc660000.
  Jul 23 01:28:17 weka kernel: eth0: interrupt  csr5=0xfc670040 new csr5=0xfc660000.
  Jul 23 01:28:17 weka kernel:  In tulip_rx(), entry 9 05ee0320.
  Jul 23 01:28:17 weka kernel: eth0: interrupt  csr5=0xfc660000 new csr5=0xfc660000.

The last thing we are going to try is to put the ethernet card in a different
slot.  Maybe the wiring is bad on the slot we've been using.  As before,
any more ideas are appreciated.  Suggestions so far have concentrated on
the wiring, but we don't believe this is the problem, since we have already
tried moving the machine to a cable that we know works at 100 Mbits/s.

thanks,
Mark Fardal
UMass