Compaq *somtimes* fails to see all tulip cards

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham@ThePLAnet.net
Wed Dec 23 13:15:29 1998

We have just started to use some Compaq 1850 servers.  We typically put
two tulips (Kingston KNE100TXs) into the box as well as its internal TLAN
card - these are normally seen in that order (ie tulip - eth0, tulip eth1,
TLAN eth2).

On these boxes, but no other Compaq systems we have seen, the kernel
sometimes (maybe 1 in 2, or 1 in 3) fails to detect the second tulip.  Its
possible that we have also changed to another batch of cards (Kingston do
change the cards without letting anyone know - and this set seem to have
been reliable unlike previous batches).   A reboot fixes the problem.
There appears to be no difference between a cold and a warm boot as to
whether the cards are seen.  A look into /proc/pci shows things as we
expected them....

Any ideas as to whats happening??

	Nigel.
--
[ Nigel.Metheringham@theplanet.net   -  Systems Software Engineer ]
[ Tel : +44 113 207 6112                   Fax : +44 113 234 6065 ]