network interface zombies randomly [was Re: interface dies under network load on SMP machines]

david david@kalifornia.com
Fri Aug 28 18:12:09 1998

Reply to mail from Al Youngwerth about network interface zombies randomly [was Re: interface diesunder network load on SMP machines]
-----------------
> I've been seeing a similar but slightly different problem, every now and
> then I'll have a tulip interface that becomes "bursty". Under this
> condition, if you ping the card, you'll see no traffic for 5 seconds and
> then all at once you'll get 5 replies, no packets for 5 seconds, 5 replies
> at once, etc.
> Linux 2.0.31, tulip 0.89K, Lite-on PNIC
> An ifconfig up/down fixes the problem.
> Thanks,

I haven't seen this yet.  I have only seen the card flat out go silent.
It doesn't seem to matter a bit what the traffic level is.

I've a different problem I'm working on at the moment that's a tad more
pressing, I'll be back to the tulip driver shortly.

-d
--
Look, look, see Windows 98.  Buy, lemmings, buy!
(c) 1998 David Ford.  Redistribution via the Microsoft Network is prohibited.