Way to find out which media a tulip card is using

Metod Kozelj metod.kozelj@rzs-hm.si
Wed Aug 19 01:39:40 1998

Hello,

On Tue, 18 Aug 1998, Timm Gleason wrote:

> I need to find a way of detecting which media type a tulip based ethernet
> card is using on a remote box. `ifconfig` just provides
> `eth0      Link encap:10Mbps Ethernet`
> no matter what speed that the cards is running at. I have tried the
> tulip-diag, but it only works when the interface is down and it does not
> seem to provide the kind of information I need anyway.

Use tulip-diag with switch -f. Here's what it has to say about my tulip
card (which is up at the time):

-----
# ./tulip-diag -fa
tulip-diag.c:v1.03 5/20/98 Donald Becker (becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov)
Chip Index #1: Found a DC21142 Tulip card at PCI bus 0, device 7 I/O 0x8800.
Digital DS21142 Tulip chip registers at 0x8800:
  ffa0e000 ffffffff ffffffff 4f847030 4f847230 f0660000 b2422002 fbfffbff
  e0000000 ffffcbf8 ffffffff fffe0000 000053ca ffff0001 fff8ffff 8ffd0000
  ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff
  ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff
 The Rx process state is 'Waiting for packets'.
 The Tx process state is 'Idle'.
Transmit started, Receive started, half-duplex.
 The transmit threshold is 72.
 Port selection is 10mpbs-serial, half-duplex.
EEPROM transceiver/media description for the DC21142 chip.

Leaf node at offset 65, default media type 0800 (Autosense).
 4 transceiver description blocks:
   Serial transceiver for 10baseT (media type 0).
   Serial transceiver for 10baseT-Full Duplex (media type 4).
   SYM transceiver for 100baseTx (media type 3).
   SYM transceiver for 100baseTx Full Duplex (media type 5).
------

It says: "Port selection is 10mpbs-serial, half-duplex."

Regards,
   Metod

Metod Kozelj

mailto:Metod.Kozelj@rzs-hm.si            /\  Ne posiljajte mi smeti ker grizem!