[scyld-users] Scheduling under Scyld Beowulf

Donald Becker becker at scyld.com
Wed Feb 5 15:51:01 PST 2003

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Lum Kai Yew wrote:

> Hi.  I've just ordered the basic CD from Linux Central for evaluation.
> My lab currently has a mini cluster of 4 nodes (dual CPU), but we are
> seriously think about expanding it to at least 64 nodes.
>
> My question is:  does Scyld-Beowulf have a job scheduling feature, or
> can I run OpenPBS under Scyld-Beowulf -- and how?

Yes, and yes.

The Basic Edition releases do not include a scheduler.
The professional editions includes several queuing and job assignment
tools.

You can use most schedulers with Scyld Beowulf.  There is a version of
PBS Pro available, and installations have used OpenPBS, LSF and SGE.
In most cases it's best to treat the cluster as a single machine, and
have the scheduling daemon run only on the master.

The scheduling/queuing tools included in the professional edition are
oriented to simplicity of use on a single cluster that is dedicated to a
small number of users and applications.  Most commercial schedulers use
sophisticated rules of who and what type of programs can use multiple
systems across a site, necessarily leading to much more complexity in
configuration and use.

Donald Becker				becker at scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993