[realtek] Compiling errors with rtl8139.c

Rival rival@planet.nl
Thu Feb 27 07:29:07 2003

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 22:50:51 -0500 (EST), Donald Becker <becker@scyld.com>
wrote:

>> Anyway I downloaded and run netdrivers.tgz, at first they didn't work
>> but at least they told me what was wrong.. kernel source. How am I
>> supposed to know I need that!
>
> You don't actually need all of the kernel source, just the proper header
> files.
>
> Red Hat has lead the way in confusion here: with their system the
> headers used to be in the "kernel-headers" package.  But that package
> now has the library headers, with the kernel headers in a new package
> (grrrr...)

I'd happily sacrifice 50% of the functionality if that would get rid of the
chaos. My choice for slackware was purely based on the belief that this
distibution
was a bit more clean... Ok it is but not nearly to what it should be. Let
alone what I want.

> Yup, you are right.  The kernel source is pointlessly huge, and you
> don't need 99% of it.
>
> What you need is the just header files for the kernel that was
> installed, along with the configuration from that exact kernel.

Can't I simply remove the entire kernel source package as soon as the
driver is functioning?

>> cardmgr[48]: socket 0: Dynalink L100CLV
>> cardmgr[48]: executing: 'modprobe cb_enabler'
>> cardmgr[48]: executing: 'modprobe rtl8139'
>> pci-scan.c:v1.11 8/31/2002 Donald Becker <becker@scyld.com>
>> http://www.scyld.com/linux/drivers.html
>> rtl8139.c:v1.22 11/17/2002 Donald Becker, becker@scyld.com.
>> http://www.scyld.com/network/rtl8139.html
>> PCI device 'Realtek RTL8139C Fast Ethernet' was not assigned an IRQ.
>> It will not be activated.
>
> OK, you need the 'cb_shim' module here.   See the end of
> http://www.scyld.com/network/updates.html

Couldn't find it so I downloaded the one from the ftp server, hope thats
ok.
( ftp://ftp.scyld.com/pub/network/cb_shim.c )

cp cb_shin.c /tmp/netdrivers
make
make install
reboot