[realtek] Re: realtek digest, Vol 1 #372 - 3 msgs

R. Steve McKown smckown@titaniummirror.com
Tue Jun 25 12:36:00 2002

realtek-request@scyld.com wrote:

>From: Joel Jaeggli <joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu>
>To: "R. Steve McKown" <smckown@titaniummirror.com>
>cc: realtek@scyld.com, <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
>Subject: [realtek] Re: System hang with heavy network traffic using rtl8139c
>
>try the scyld/Donald Becker driver...

As mentioned in my message, I have experienced the lockups with both
8139too v 0.9.22 and Dr. Becker's rtl8139 v1.18.

>The realtek 8139 chip has, a probably well deserved reputation of being
>unsuitable for high performance network applications so it may the case
>that they are simply unsuitable for your application.

I am concerned with system lockups.  The part has adequate performance
for our needs.  I would be eager to hear any experiences you have had
with the 8139 chipset relative to its reliability, solutions you used to
resolve them, or recommendations on how/where best to examine this
problem at the driver level.

All the best,
Steve