[realtek] kernel-module mismatch with RTL8139 - short fix

Umair Yousufi Umair Yousufi" <Umair.Yousufi@UTSouthwestern.edu
Sat Jun 8 21:11:00 2002

Here's the short version of my previous fix (mostly just commands).
See the previous post for the details.

--
Umair Yousufi

download source files from
ftp://ftp.scyld.com/pub/network/netdrivers-3.1-1.src.rpm

cd to download directory
rpm -ihv netdrivers-3.1-1.src.rpm
cd usr/src/pakages/BUILD/netdrivers-3.1
comment out all lines in source containing MODULE_LICENSE
tar -cf netdrivers.tar *
gzip netdrivers.tar
mv netdrivers.tar.gz /usr/src/packages/SOURCES/netdrivers.tgz
cd /usr/src/packages
rpm -bb SPECS/netdriver*.spec
rpm -i --force RPMS/i386/netdrivers-3.0-1.i386.rpm
cd /etc/
edit modules.conf
  //add the following 2 lines to modules.conf:
  alias eth0 rtl8139
  insmod_opt=-f
cd /lib/modules/2.4.0-4GB/net
depmod -a
modprobe rtl8139
ifconfig eth0 up
here, I used SuSE's LAN setup tool to set eth0 as DHCP.  After it stopped
and
restarted the network, it worked