[realtek-bug] Re: [realtek] Re: compiling problem

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Tue Jan 29 15:02:01 2002

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, Christopher Fowler wrote:

> To me the the MODULE_LICNESE has the same effect as MS Driver Signing.
> I'm not too sure if I like either.  Sure you want to protect other
> users.  But you also want to push your ideas even harder.

IMNSHO, the MODULE_LICENSE() is not just annoying, it is evil.

The Linux kernel is licensed only under the GPL.  I started contributing
to it from the very early days based on that license.  All linked-in
code, and that includes modules, is a derivative work and must also be
released under the GPL.  Adding an explicit way to declare a non-GPL
license weakens the license.

> > > rtl8139.c:336: parse error before string constant
> > > rtl8139.c:336: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of
> > > `MODULE_LICENSE'
> >
> > You also need the new kern_compat.h, which I needed to update to

I didn't make that clear: kern_compat.h is also in the test directory.
The only required file missing the test directory is 'pci-scan.h'.  This
is unchanged from the version in /pub/netwprk/pci-scan.h

This complete set of PCI network driver updates is in this morning's
(1/29/2002) driver collection
   ftp://www.scyld.com/pub/network/netdrivers.tgz
   ftp://www.scyld.com/pub/network/netdrivers-3.1-1.src.rpm

Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com