[realtek] What throughput can be expected

TD - Sales International Holland B.V. td@salesint.com
Tue Jan 8 06:59:01 2002

On Monday 07 January 2002 18:47, Donald Becker stuffed this into my mailbox:

I'm getting around 2.5MBps (MegaByte per second) on ftp from my linux with 2
RTL8139's (one towards my internet router the other towards my LAN linux
being my proxy/NAT machine). This is on a 2.4.5 kernel. The box at my mothers
house does about 2.5 as well, only it peaks up till 6 sometimes (this is a
2.2.?? kernel). I think it's partly disk performance and partly system load
since my network is pretty dead overall so it shouldn't be my hub.

In addition to Donald's reply:
200MBps would mean 1600Mbps... The more technical people among us make
difference between a small b and a capital B to point out the difference
between bits and bytes. The confusion around this is also often used as
marketing techniques. Don't let them fool you. A byte = 8 bits. Thus 1Mbit is
only 1/8 MByte. So a 1Mbit line (1024kbps) has 1024/8 = 128kByte p/s max
(theoretically, in real life you have overhead (headers of the packets n
stuff, and collisions just to name a few i believe a thumb rule is you loose
about 6-8% in overhead? this is just an estimate, it should be about right).

If my tech is still correct full-duplex means you can send and receive at the
same time (whilst normally you'd be either receiving or sending not both at
the same time). Now marketing people will make you want to think you're twice
as fast because you can use the 100Mbps up and the 100Mbps down at once but
this does not make 200Mbps.... it's still 100 down and 100 up and mainly
you'll probably be downloading and if you'd get the max speed you'd use 100
down (minus overhead) and like max 8Mbit up or so (i'm not good at these
calculations as I do not know true numbers at the moment, i haven't really
looked into them but these estimates should be about right) for the ack and
error packets n stuff. the 200Mbps sortta makes me think of AMD athlons...
They advertise 266MHz busses everywhere, but they're just 133MHz busses with
DDR.... ok so in opposite to this they can infact transmit twice the data due
to the DDR but this doesn't mean that the clock speed doubles... it's still
at 133

Marketing is bullshit. Get facts :-)

regards