[realtek] Packet never send/receive on rtl8139.c

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Mon Feb 25 11:56:01 2002

On Sun, 24 Feb 2002, Naoki Asada wrote:

> I am running RedHat7.2 kernel 2.4. I was download the source rpm for
> netdrivers3.1-1.
> Everything is good. However my ethernet never send/receive any packets.
> The standard 8139too.c driver is also same problem.
>
> Do you have any information about this.
>
> %dmesg
> rtl8139.c:v1.17 1/28/2002 Donald Becker, becker@scyld.com.
>  http://www.scyld.com/network/rtl8139.html
>   The PCI BIOS has not enabled the device at 0/80!  Updating PCI command
> 0000->0
> 005.
> eth0: RealTek RTL8139C Fast Ethernet at 0x1c00, IRQ 7, 00:40:45:01:8e:3a.
>
> %/var/log/messages
> eth0: Transmit timeout, status 0c 0005 media 18.

You should run 'rtl8139-diag' to see the chip state as this is occuring.

0c Transmitter and receiver enabled (normal)
0005  Interrupt status -- RxOK and TxOK interrupts are raised.

Well, that seems to the problem: the interrupt line is broken/blocked.
If you had been running a 2.2 kernel you would have seen a message that
described this, but detecting blocked interrupt lines is difficult with
the 2.4 kernel.

The bug here is likely the APIC IRQ line mapping.

Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993