[realtek] Can't sniff with Realtek 8139 in HP ZT1100 series laptop

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Mon Aug 19 11:51:01 2002

On Sat, 17 Aug 2002, Jason Bowman wrote:

> I have a realtek 8139 ethernet card built into my HP ZT1100 series
> laptop.

Can you see the chip to read the part number off of the top?
   It seem to be a undocumented chip type, similar to the rtl8139b.
   About when was the laptop made?
   What is the entry from /proc/pci?

> For some reason I can not sniff network traffic, something that is
> very useful for network diagnostics where I work.

You are hooked to an Ethernet switch, which is filtering out traffic not
intended for you.
That's the whole point of using a switch...

--
Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993