[realtek] rtl8139

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Fri Aug 2 01:13:00 2002

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, VEGETA2000 wrote:

> Hi, I got a local network with just two machines, one of which has a
> Realtek 8029 and the other one has a Realtek 8139.
> I installed Debian 2.2 (kernel 2.2) on both computers, and when asked
> about the net modules i used the dummy one for the 8029 and the
> rtl8139 for the 8139.

The rtl8139 driver is the correct one.

> Soon afterwards I modified the /etc/modules in
> the computer with the 8029 and erased "dummy" and wrote "ne2k-pci",

Yes, ne2k-pci is the correct driver for the '8029.

> cuz i was told that was the right module, and it looked as if it was
> cuz it now says on the boot it finds a Realtek 8029.

Good.

>The problem is on the other machine. It has never worked.

Which machine?

> My problem is that when it
> configures the network on the boot, the light on the ethernet card
> automatically disappears while in the 8029 stands on.

Try the rtl8139 driver v1.19 or later -- it now preserves the LED
settings.  The functionality isn't changed, just what the LED outputs
mean.

--
Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993