[realtek] Ethernet card config - Bering

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Fri Aug 2 00:13:00 2002

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, David Dannemiller wrote:

> > We need the packet count to find if the very first packet had a transmit
> > problem, or some subsequent packet could not be transmitted.
> Inter-|   Receive                                                |  Transmit
>  face |bytes    packets errs drop fifo frame compressed multicast|bytes
> packets errs drop fifo colls carrier compressed
>     lo:       0       0    0    0    0     0          0         0        0
> 0    0    0    0     0       0          0
> dummy0:       0       0    0    0    0     0          0         0        0
> 0    0    0    0     0       0          0
>   eth0:       0       0    0    0    0     0          0         0        0
> 0    0    4    0     0       0          0

OK, this tells us that there were immediate transmit errors.
I suspect the problem is that the card is not in a bus-master slot.

> Both cards are D-Link model DFE-530TX+.
>     00:50:ba:42:c7:b0 is Rev.C1, purchased fall 2000
>     00:50:ba:cc:67:58 is Rev.D2, purchased last week

Thanks for the info.  I don't have a full list of when D-Link
changed their PCI ID (primary and subsystem).

> How can I dump the EEPROM contents?

rtl8139-diag -ee

> > Some PCI slots don't support bus masters.  That's easy to understand and
> > avoid.
> > Worse, some PCI motherboards (e.g. Abit) share one set of bus master
> > signals between two slots.  So a bus master card will work in either
> > slot, but you cannot plug in two bus masters that are simultaneously
> > active.
>
> The PCI and ISA slots are on a riser board.  There are 2 ISA slots, 1 PCI
> slot, and 1 slot that can swing either PCI or ISA.  A Compaq sticker on the
> board says:
>     Replace with COMPAQ Spare

Hmmm, riser cards are almost always the problem, but Compaq equipment is
usually well designed and reliable.  I'm not certain which is the case
here.

--
Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993