[realtek] Another 8139 variant?

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Mon, 7 May 2001 14:21:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 3 May 2001, Mark W. Eichin wrote:

> 1516:0803 (vendor "MYSON Technology Inc." if lspci is to be believed)
> is an "Asound" brand card with a chip labelled "Asound LAN-8139" with
> a datecode of 0105.  Previous cards from the same vendor (in the same
> packaging, even, though we know how little *that* means in the PC
> world) were "Class 0200: 10ec:8139 (rev 10)", and worked fine with the
> old rtl8139 driver.

After some further research, this is actually based on a new chip from
Myson.  It's unrelated to the Realtek chip.  The design is similar to
the Winbond or Via chips.  Salient features are
   Descriptor-based bus master (unlike the rtl8139, but like most others)
   Requires word-aligned receive buffers
   64 bit multicast hash filter
   Integrated on-chip transceiver with direct access to MII-like
     management registers
   Flow control, Wake-On-LAN, no QOS, no checksum,

A preliminary diagnostic is named myson-diag.c at
    ftp://ftp.scyld.com/pub/diag/myson-diag.c

Myson is working a driver based on my pci-skeleton.c, but it has some
evil code (like messing directly with the timer chip).
I've started on a different driver. "It definitely doesn't work"
      ftp://www.scyld.com/pub/network/test/myson803.c

> The cards are $9 on compgeeks.com, I can supply a sample to someone in
> the Boston area...

I might have to buy one (grrr the shipping almost costs more than the
card).

Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993