[realtek] helpppppppppppppppppppppp

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 20:44:09 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 25 Jun 2001 BuDdAhLoVeR150@aol.com wrote:

> i just bought an ethernet card 10/100 pci valued at $70.00

$70?  Then what are you doing on this list?  ;-)
(You can buy rtl8139 cards in small quantities for $6.50 each. )

> but when i
> install it it says the device is working properly unfortunately when i
> try to download the verizon dsl disk it says that i need an ethernet
> card installed

Verizon DSL?
I did some Linux DSL work for Verizon, back when they were still Bell
Atlantic
  http://www.scyld.com/DSL/index.html
   ftp://ftp.scyld.com/pub/DSL/

> i think that it might have a bug in the card cause when i go to network in
> the control panel it does not show the tcp/ip with the name of the ethernet
> card next to it i have tried to get the store owner to exchange the card for
> another one with no luck please someone help me thanks

The way the PPPoE DSL implementation works is that the Ethernet
interface ("eth0") is marked up, but has no IP address.  The ppp0
interface is created to hold the IP address and default route.

Perhaps this is what you are seeing.

Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993