[realtek] RTL8139 PROBLEM

Mark McKinney irsi@irsi-usa.com
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 10:49:15 -0500

I installed RH7.0 and of course had problems getting my 8139pci adapter
to work. After searching and reading all I could find, I loaded the
2.2.16-22 kernel source from the cd and compiled it, then downloaded the
pci updated drivers netdriver-2.1.src.rpm and compiled it successfully.
I did an install of pci-scan.o and rtl8139.o to the
/lib/modules/2.2.16-22/net directory, the 'insmod' on them worked and
'depmod -a' as well. I can do a 'cat /proc/pci' and see the realtek8139
card with a good irq and io address. I can do lsmod and see both
pci-scan(attached to the 8139 driver) and the rtl8139 module. The
problem is when I do 'ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0
up' the computer freezes. I have set up eth0 to use that module in
linuxconf as well but on boot I get an insmod error. Going through
Gnome, I cant see the rtl8139 driver at all in the drop down list, but
if I set it up in linuxconf then try to activate the card - it freezes
as well. Do I need to install the updates drivers somewhere else? Is
there a step I am missing to tell the card to use the 8139 driver? Any
help and suggestions would be appreciated.
Mark