[realtek] Trouble compiling hp1207d.c

Stephen Shaver stephenshaver@hotmail.com
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 21:29:26

Hi,

I'm a newcomer to Linux; last week I installed Red Hat 7.0 on my HP
Pavilion.  Red Hat doesn't autodetect my HP 1207D ethernet card, but Windows
autodetects it as a Realtek 8139(a) based card.  But when I've tried using
the rtl8139 module under Linux, the module loads but the network card still
doesn't work.  After searching quite a bit, I found a driver hp1207d.c on
HP's web page.  The instructions for compiling are at the bottom of the
file:

gcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O6 -c hp1207d.c `[ -f
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h ] && echo -DMODVERSIONS`

but when I try doing this, I get the following message:
In file included from hp1207d.c:61:
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:1:2: #error Modules should never use
kernel-headers system-headers,
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:2:2: #error but headers from an appropriate
kernel-source

I don't have the knowledge to figure out what this means, but I looked at my
modversions.h file and its entire contents are the same as the two error
messages:
#error Modules should never use kernel-headers system-headers,
#error but headers from an appropriate kernel-source

Can anyone let me know what this means and how I can get this to compile?

Thanks for your help.

Stephen