full duplex causing network to crash

Paolo Panizza rd.it@gabel.net
Wed Mar 29 03:42:00 2000

had the same problem; then I found my hub doesn't support FD.
Check with rtl8139-diag what your 8139's link partner capability is.

bye

Paolo

 --------------
From: robert_spitzenpfeil
To: linux-realtek@beowulf.gsfc.nasa.gov; Centralino (Arianna)
Subject: full duplex causing network to crash ??
Date: Wed Mar 29 03:42:00 2000

i'm using 2 identical level one nics, realtek 8139 chipset, a hub compliant
with ieee802.3u class II, cat 5 cables
problem:  when testing with supplied software, those two cards can establish

a 100mbit full duplex link               no problem at all.

using full duplex within linux (cards manually set to 100/fd, drivers forced

to fd) causes the entire network to crash, half duplex is no problem at all.

approx 20-40 mbit data rate and lots of collisions...

i'm using suse linux 6.3  kernel: 2.2.13, single cpu
rtl8139.o version: 1.07 / 1.08

am I doing sth completely wrong?

 --
 ---