rtl8139 driver "looses" network

sharkey@superk.physics.sunysb.edu sharkey@superk.physics.sunysb.edu
Mon Mar 13 13:16:29 2000

> Apologies to all up front if this is a know problem and I've simply not
> seen the posts

Seen it.  Seen it, again.  And again.  And again.  And again.

About 49% of the posts to this lists are reports of this problem.  Another
49% are people asking how to force the card into 10 Mbps or 100 Mbps mode.
The remaining 2% are unique problems.

Since you're stuck with the chip, my best advice is to try the new driver
by Jeff Garzik in the later 2.3.x kernels.  I *still* haven't tried this
myself, but, it's reported to fix many bugs in the original driver.

Eric