realtek-linux problems

Kristopher King golfking@purdue.edu
Thu Feb 24 23:36:47 2000

------=_NextPart_000_0036_01BF7F20.2E664AC0

Hi, I am just new to linux.  Previously I have used the Realtek 8139 in =
win98 and it has worked just fine.  But I just installed linux on a =
second HD.  I didn't install LILO.  So I have to put in a LILO disk to =
start up linux.  But when I do my ethernet card doesn't work.  I have a =
cable modem which is connected to a hub and 3 computers come out of that =
hub and grab 3 ips.  My is one of them.  I am pretty sure I have it =
configured correctly.  When using win98, I used a DCHP config to for it =
to work-I didn't specify any ips.  But in linux I gave all the =
information it needed and it won't get online. =20

I have verified that the kernel module is set to rtl8139.  This =
automatically was set for me.  but when I check the lights on the NIC =
card they don't light up like they do in windows.  I don't know what to =
do??

The other problem is... I can't use my floppy in linux.  It keeps giving =
me errors when I try to access it.  I logged in as superuser and gave =
myself access but it still will not function.  It can only read my LILO =
disk.

Need help???

thanks=20

kris

------=_NextPart_000_0036_01BF7F20.2E664AC0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi, I am just new to linux.&nbsp; =
Previously I have=20
used the Realtek 8139 in win98 and it has worked just fine.&nbsp; But I =
just=20
installed linux on a second HD.&nbsp; I didn't install LILO.&nbsp; So I =
have to=20
put in a&nbsp;LILO disk to start up linux.&nbsp; But when I do my =
ethernet card=20
doesn't work.&nbsp; I have a cable modem which is connected to a hub and =
3=20
computers come out of that hub and grab 3 ips.&nbsp; My is one of =
them.&nbsp; I=20
am pretty sure I have it configured correctly.&nbsp; When using win98, I =
used a=20
DCHP config to for it to work-I didn't specify any ips.&nbsp; But in =
linux I=20
gave all the information it needed and it won't get online.&nbsp; =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have verified that the kernel module =
is set to=20
rtl8139.&nbsp; This automatically was set for me.&nbsp; but when I check =
the=20
lights on the NIC card they don't light up like they do in =
windows.&nbsp; I=20
don't know what to do??</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The other problem is... I can't use my =
floppy in=20
linux.&nbsp; It keeps giving me errors when I try to access it.&nbsp; I =
logged=20
in as superuser and gave myself access but it still will not =
function.&nbsp; It=20
can only read my LILO disk.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Need help???</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>thanks </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>kris</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0036_01BF7F20.2E664AC0--