i have this problem: redhat linux 52

Paolo Panizza rd.it@gabel.net
Wed Feb 2 08:28:00 2000

Hi.
Excluding troubles on the other machine...
seems to me your m.board doesn't have pci-master capable slots (they say
this NIC must be installed on such a slot) or is faulty.
You should try the latest driver, however: I'm running RH 5.2 on an Asus' MB
(with UWSCSI on-board) and K6, the lancard is a basic 8139 from Level-1,
with latest driver from Becker's site and am having no troubles (so far...).

bye.

Paolo

 ----------
From: Dan Uscatu
To: linux-realtek@beowulf.gsfc.nasa.gov; Centralino (Arianna)
Date: Wed Feb  2 08:28:00 2000

hi

i have this problem: redhat linux 52 machine, kernel 2.0.36, realtek
8139 fast ethernet adaptor connected via switch to the lan. when i open a
terminal and 'cat' a long file, it scrolls very fast and the ethernet card
freezes.
syslog message is:

Jan 31 13:08:43 machine kernel: eth0: Transmit timeout, status 0d 0000.
Jan 31 13:09:09 machine last message repeated 5 times

i do a net restart and all goes fine, if i do it fast i dont even lose my
terminal session, and i am able to see the rest of the file.

i have changed the port on the switch, the switch, the cable, the ethernet
card. still the same.

can anyone help ?

i am using this version of driver (provided by the kernel sources):

rtl8139.c:v0.99B 4/7/98 Donald Becker
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/rtl8139.html

Dan Uscatu
Network Administrator