[realtek] rtl8139 problems (2.2.16-2.2.18)

Jens Benecke jens@jensbenecke.de
Tue, 26 Dec 2000 21:34:19 +0100

--MOeiELSuYwpLEKvX

On Tue, Dec 26, 2000 at 12:25:12PM +0000, Paul Campbell wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 December 2000 08:00 pm, you wrote:
>=20
> > > Hi,
> >
> > I am experiencing network dropouts with an rtl8139 based PCI network
> > card recently. This (strangely) only happens since I compiled ReiserFS
> > (3.5.27) and LVM (0.9.1)  into the kernel, it didn't happen before.
> There are later versions of the 8139 driver, including one with a fix of
> mine that may solve this problem (look for version 1.12 or later of the
> driver - available from Don Becker's site).=20

Thanks for the prompt reply! I'm using 1.12 now (compiled from the
scyld.com Website) and it seems the problem is not so common any more. I
can stream MP3s from my server (which also does NFS, FTP, Web, and just
about everything else you can imagine) all day and it only happened once.
=20
> Here's how to find out if the problem may be the one I fixed:
> 	- from outside ping the affected machine, if the ping times are
> 	  some silly multiple of 1 second, maybe even increasing multiples
> 	  in some wierd pattern, and often come back in
> 	  bursts and/or

Not here. Either the machine is there (time=3D0.2ms) or it isn't (100% pack=
et
loss).

> 	- the machine gets out of the wierd state after a short while if=20
> 	  you ping it with a really long packet (say 10k-50k)

I'll try that.
=20
> the actual problem I fixed relates to error recovery from collisions -
> something that's more likely to happen if you have a lot of NFS traffic
> on your ether (using RFS may have caused this to happen more often if you
> are NFS serving off of it)

Strangely, both machines are on a switch, and were the only machines on
that switch at the time. Is a collision possible at all under these
circumstances?

Again, thanks! Tomorrow this machine was supposed to be a game server for a
LAN party and this shouldn't happen there (I have a PCnet32 for backup if
everything fails). :)

--=20
oeffentlich abstrakt klasse fuh erweitert Objekt durchfuehrt bar {
	vertraulich fluechtig Zeichenfolge meinText;
	oeffentlich statisch leere haupt(Zeichenfolge[] argu) { ...
}								-- Usenet
http://www.hitchhikers.de/ - Die kostenlose Mitfahrzentrale f=FCr ganz Euro=
pa

--MOeiELSuYwpLEKvX