[realtek] Dlink DFE-530TX+ compatibility

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 18:50:27 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 28 Aug 2000, Chris Leavoy wrote:

> Has any progress been made on fixing the compatibility problems with the
> Dlink DFE-530tx+?  The problems i am referring to are the ones that cause
> the driver to "freeze" when the driver is flooded with network traffic.
>
> eth0: Abnormal interrupt, status 00000051.

  0x0010  Rx Buffer overflow, set when the Rx ring overflows due to high
          interrupt latency
 0x0020	  Rx packet underrun: this should never occur</tr>
 0x0040	  Rx FIFO overflow: this should never occur</tr>

I've added this list to
   http://www.scyld.com/network/rtl8139.html

Basically, something has gone horribly wrong with your system.  The driver
interrupt handler hasn't been run enough, and the 32KB ring has overflowed.
Some is blocking interrupts for a really long time.

The driver attempts to recover...

> eth0: Abnormal interrupt, status 00000030.
> eth0: Ethernet frame had errors, status 774c0f79.
> eth0: Oversized Ethernet frame, status 774c0f79!
> eth0: Abnormal interrupt, status 00000020.

But the Rx ring is now screwed by whatever went wrong.

I'll check the driver to see if there anything more that can be done in the
initial error recovery, but the error recovery code looks reasonable.

Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com
410 Severn Ave. Suite 210		Beowulf-II Cluster Distribution
Annapolis MD 21403