realtek docu, ASUS 486 MB

Hermann Lauer Hermann.Lauer@IWR.Uni-Heidelberg.De
Fri Sep 24 10:39:35 1999

Dear List readers,

I have bought two rtl8139 Ethernetkontrollers,
the one in my Pentium works fine, but the one in the
486 hang's the machine.
I have read some Comments about broken 486/PCI implementations
(I have a Intel Saturn chipset (rev.2), Motherboard ASUS SP3I/PCI or
something like that) and I'm hacking on the rtl8129.c at the moment
to at least not crash the machine - at the moment at least TX don't
crash the machine any more (always hard crashes, IMHO pci deadlocks).

If I'll ever get it working - I'll don't know at the moment.

Here my questions:

http://www.realtek.com.tw

is gone (maybe due to the earthquake ?). Has anyone a new URL
or mirrored the docu for programming the realtek ? (was http://www.realtek.com.tw/cn/cn.html)

Can all the transfer defines be safely set to the lowest possible value (i.e. 0) (RX_FIFO_THRESH RX_DMA_BURST TX_DMA_BURST and
so on) and the driver will still work ?

Is there any docu available on the net about programming the MB Chipset ?

Thanks for any help and for all that work on Linux drivers...

Greetings

    Hermann

--
Bildverarbeitungsgruppe des Interdiziplinaeren Zentrums fuer
wissenschaftliches Rechnen, Universitaet Heidelberg