lock up

Donald Becker becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Oct 28 12:43:25 1999

On Thu, 28 Oct 1999, Bernd Stahlbock wrote:

> You are right. I stayed in the company last night and figured out some
> problems with the bios parameters. It's a Half-Size ISA-Slot-CPU with Alladin
> Chipset and AmiBios. When I toggle the entry EDO DRAM speculative read to
> 'disabled', the network chip gets serious problems. The whole system runs
> well, but when I start pinging I get the errors mentioned.

Run a bunch of kernel compiles.  If they fail, you have a memory corruption
problem.
  cd /usr/src/linux; date > /tmp/makelog
  while date >> makelog; do make clean; make; done

You may still have an unidentified I/O corruption problem.

> Also I learned last night, that it's very bad when I fix the SMC Etherpower
> Card in my Desktop PC to Fullduplex. The rtl8139 don't like that and
> Networktrafic between them gets _very_ slow.

Very Bad.  Look at the error counts in /proc/net/dev -- every out-of-window
collision triggers a full reset of the network interface.

> Now I will try the 1.08 driver you pointed me to. I will tell you what
> happens.

Donald Becker
Scyld Computing Corporation, and
USRA-CESDIS,   becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov