RTL8139 and 10/100 Base T

Daniel Kobras zxmfj03@fphp16.tphys.physik.uni-tuebingen.de
Wed Oct 27 11:25:25 1999

On Wed, 27 Oct 1999 sharkey@ale.physics.sunysb.edu wrote:

> > I would like to know if it's possible to force the drivers of the realtek
> > 8139 to 10 BASET instead of 100 Base T ?
>
> Why do you want to do this?
>
> The driver should automatically detect the link speed of the machine it is
> connected to.  If you connect to a 10BT network, it will run at 10BT.
> If you are having problems, the cause is probably something else.

The reason one would like to force 10BT is mostly because one doesn't want
to spend money on a switch: there are 100BT/10BT hubs that will set up
different segments when you connect both 100BT and 10BT cards. So to
communicate from the 100MBit to the 10MBit card you have to force 10MBit
on the faster one.

Daniel.