Oversized ethernet problems

Taso Hatzi taso@esands.com
Sun Oct 17 19:38:16 1999

At 11:07 17/10/99 -0400, Donald Becker wrote:

>I believe that Alan's comment is wrong: the chip doesn't have a bug, but if
>there is a data transfer problem, e.g. corrupted PCI transfers, the driver
>ends up at this point.

Starting with 2.3.20, the kernel logs "APIC error interrupt"
messages. Apparently, they flag problems with PCI data txfers.

I'm seeing the occasional such error on a AbitBP6 with 8139A.
Until I put 2.3.20 on it, I thought the problem was with the
8139A and/or its driver, but maybe it's not. Maybe this
"APIC error interrupt" condition is widespread - but not
getting noticed because there aren't many people running
kernels that report it.