Oversized ethernet problems

Donald Becker becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Sun Oct 17 16:16:32 1999

On Sun, 17 Oct 1999, P.A.M. van Dam (Pascal) wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 17, 1999 at 11:07:46AM -0400, Donald Becker wrote:
> > On Sun, 17 Oct 1999, P.A.M. van Dam (Pascal) wrote:
> >
> > > Like some others on this list I'm also experiencing the oversized ethernet
> > > frame phenomenon. My setup is a AMD K6/2 300Mhz with two rtl8139 cards,
> > > kernel is 2.2.12 with stock rtl8139 driver. Also tried the latest driver
> > > from cesdis with no better results.
> >
> > Which driver version?
> > (People are often wrong when they say "the latest driver verison".)
>
> [/var/log/messages]
> Oct 17 16:08:45 ladystrange kernel: rtl8139.c:v1.08 6/25/99 Donald Becker http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/rtl8139.html

That's far from the latest version!  There have been over twenty test
releases since then.

Try the version in
  http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/kern-2.3/index.html
  ftp://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/linux/drivers/kern-2.3/

> > And which chip version?  The rtl8139 or rtl8139A?  (It matters in this
> > case.)
>
> Driver is v1.08, chip version appears to be rtl8139 according to the driver's
> output.

What version number is printed on the chip?  There are several versions that
all identify themselves as device type 0x8139.

> > With the RTL8139A chip this may indicate a link change interrupt, not a Rx
> > underflow.  Is the link LED status steady while this is happening?
>
> I'll force an oversized frame now; wait a minute...
> Ok... Let's check the LEDs.
>
> LINK LED is steady green. Which means. LINK == OK.

Does the LED blink at all when this is occuring?  Not pulse regularly, but
blink once.

Donald Becker
Scyld Computing Corporation, and
USRA-CESDIS,   becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov