Oversized ethernet problems

Donald Becker becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Sun Oct 17 11:00:15 1999

On Sun, 17 Oct 1999, P.A.M. van Dam (Pascal) wrote:

> Like some others on this list I'm also experiencing the oversized ethernet
> frame phenomenon. My setup is a AMD K6/2 300Mhz with two rtl8139 cards,
> kernel is 2.2.12 with stock rtl8139 driver. Also tried the latest driver
> from cesdis with no better results.

Which driver version?
(People are often wrong when they say "the latest driver verison".)

And which chip version?  The rtl8139 or rtl8139A?  (It matters in this
case.)

> Oct 17 13:13:50 ladystrange kernel: eth1: Oversized Ethernet frame, status cccccccc!
> Oct 17 13:13:50 ladystrange kernel: eth1: Abnormal interrupt, status 00000021.

With the RTL8139A chip this may indicate a link change interrupt, not a Rx
underflow.  Is the link LED status steady while this is happening?

> 		if (rx_status & RxTooLong) {
> 			if (rtl8129_debug > 0)
> 				printk(KERN_NOTICE"%s: Oversized Ethernet frame, status %4.4x!\n",
> 					   dev->name, rx_status);
> 			tp->stats.rx_length_errors++;
> 			/* A.C.: The chip hangs here. */

I believe that Alan's comment is wrong: the chip doesn't have a bug, but if
there is a data transfer problem, e.g. corrupted PCI transfers, the driver
ends up at this point.

Are you running an overclocked system?

Donald Becker
Scyld Computing Corporation, and