Problem with RTL8139: Oversized ethernet frame

Dirk.Thomalla@RSD.rsd.de Dirk.Thomalla@RSD.rsd.de
Thu Oct 14 05:24:59 1999

Hi all,

sorry if my question is a FAQ, but I've searched
and found nothing helpful.

I'm getting the message "Oversized ethernet frame" if
large files are transmitted to a Linux box (Kernel 2.2.10, running
Samba) from a Windoze 9x box.

The Linux machine is an older i486 with PCI.
Is my problem that which is meant by:

> If you encounter Rx overflow errors and transmit timeouts you likely have the
card in a
> non-bus-master slot. Other possible problems are older PCI implementations,
> especially i486-class motherboards, that have bugs when using long PCI burst
transfers.

Or is it something different, which may be solved by configuration?

Thank you,

--
 -
 Dirk Thomalla