Realtek 8139 Driver for Solaris

sharkey@ale.physics.sunysb.edu sharkey@ale.physics.sunysb.edu
Tue Oct 12 07:18:04 1999

> Thanks for your response. I have contacted the vendor and Sun and neither seem
> at all interested in offering a driver.
>
> Perhaps you might consider writing it for Solaris? :)

Why do you need to use Solaris?

Donald seemed almost gleeful when he replied to you the first time, an
attitude common among open source folks.  When you choose closed source
software, you tie your hands, and have to do what the vendor allows you
to do.  Most open sourcers aren't known for overwhelming compassion for
people caught between a rock and proprietary code.  Of course, I can't
speak for Donald.

I'd suggest either switching to Linux, or buying new hardware which Sun
supports.  I'm sure it would be far cheaper than compensating Donald for
his valuable time.

Eric