Realtek 8139 Driver for Solaris

Donald Becker becker@cesdis1.gsfc.nasa.gov
Sat Oct 9 14:14:05 1999

On Fri, 8 Oct 1999, Simon Anderson wrote:

> I wonder if you can help me. I'm trying to install SOlaris on a Sharp
> Mebius laptop, but need to do a network install. Solaris has no support
> for this driver..

Oh really?  Sun claims touts their extensive device support -- why don't you
ask them for a driver.  (That was sarcasm -- Solaris has many drivers, but
they tend to be for high-end specialty boards, not commodity hardware.  It
seems that Sun is mostly interested in narrow, protected markets.)

> so I'm hoping you could give me some guidlines on
> possibly porting the linux driver to Solaris 7.

No, this is a license violation.

To be precise, you can modify the code for your own use, but any
distribution of such a driver would violate the license, making it pointless
to do the port.

Donald Becker					  becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center,  Greenbelt, MD.  20771
301-286-0882	     http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/people/becker/whoiam.html