installing VIA driver on a 2.0.25/PC

Vincent ROCA vincent.roca@lip6.fr
Wed May 12 07:47:26 1999

Hello everybody,

I have problems installing the via-rhine.c driver on an old
Linux 2.0.25 box. I want to LINK IT TO THE KERNEL (rather
than creating a module).

So:

- I copied it to drivers/net dir (there was no via driver
  before),
- I modified the Config.in and Makefile accordingly
- I added:
#ifdef  CONFIG_NET_VIARHINE     /* VR: added */
        &&
#endif
  to the ethif_probe() function of drivers/net/Space.c
- and finally added:
DEVICE( VIA,            VIA_3043,       "VT 3043"),
  to the dev_info[] table of file drivers/pci/pci.c

After make clean/dep/compilation/lilo/reboot, my DFE530TX
card is recognized by the hard, nothing special is said
during the "Probing PCI hardware." stage of the boot, but
there is no associated ethX device created and no driver
trace at all during the boot!

Yet a "more /proc/pci" says:

  Bus  0, device  12, function  0:
    Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies VT 3043 (rev 6).
      Medium devsel.  IRQ 11.  Master Capable.  Latency=32.
      Min Gnt=118.Max Lat=152.
      I/O at 0xd400.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf9800000.

My feeling is that the via_rhine_probe() function of the
driver is never called.
Did I forget to do something ?

Thanks,

    Vincent.

NB: for info my PC has another PCI Ethernet card as well
as a PCI ATM card but I don't think that's the problem.

NB2: I think the "Usage Instruction" of via-rhine.html
should discuss non-module installation too (even if not
recommanded ;-)