(obs:long mail) problems with Rlt8139.o - interrupt line blocked, transmit timeout...

Donald Becker becker@cesdis1.gsfc.nasa.gov
Tue Jul 13 19:11:59 1999

On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, Ricardo Dotta wrote:

> card we installed, model Encore ENL832-TX. I am using a Linux driver of
> yours (version 1.08a) for the chipset Realtek 8139. The subnet has 9
> 1.07 in our tests for our TCP/IP, IPX and Windows networks, till real work
> was done in the new subnet. Then Linux crashed. We got your new version
> 1.08a, and submitted the card to what we think was a real test (8 machines
> trying to get 400MB at the same time from our Novell server in another
> subnet), and again everything seemed ok. But when real work was done Linux
> ide 0: reset: sucess
> eth2: RTL8139 interrupt line blocked, status 5
> hda: irq timeout: status 0x50 {Drive ready Seek complete}
> eth2: Tx queue start entry 8 dirty entry 4, full

OOhhhh, you have something bad going on here.  And it's probably not related
to the Ethernet device itself.  Both the IDE and the rtl8139 drivers are
complaining that their interrupt lines are blocked.

What interrupt line is the IDE controller on?
  (It's likely IRQ14.  If not, that might be a place to look for a problem.)

Check /proc/interrupts while this occurring, if you can -- I'm guessing that
some interrupts counts will not be incrementing.

Do you have any unusual devices that might be blocking interrupts?

Donald Becker					  becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center,  Greenbelt, MD.  20771
301-286-0882	     http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/people/becker/whoiam.html