odd behavior with RTL8139

Greg Mader gmader@geoanalytics.com
Tue Dec 14 15:44:54 1999

Dear ethernet gurus,

I have a box set up to act as a router/firewall, with a 3com nic as the
internal interface (192.168.x.x addresses), a Linksys tulip card as the
external, and a ovislink RTL8139 as the DMZ interface.  The machine started
to act up and "freeze" ( no response to the keyboard, or mouse, had to
power down the machine.) after we changed the ip addresses on the external
and the DMZ interfaces. Specifically, daily operations are fine, except for
backing up data from the email server on the DMZ to the backup server on
the internal network.  This means that high network traffic is going
through the RTL8139 interface, and that is when the system hangs. Here is
the message that I got at the console.

>> eth2: transmit timeout, status 0d 0000 media 00
>> eth2: Tx queue start entry 735041 dirty entry 735041

This is the RTL8139 interface.  Here is the version and setup info from Dmesg:

rtl8139.c:v1.04 9/22/98 Donald Becker
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/rtl8139.html
eth2: RealTek RTL8139 Fast Ethernet at 0xe400, IRQ 10, 00:4f:4e:03:41:53.

So, I looked at your page, and you have come up with two revisions since
this version.  Is this system hang related to an old driver?  Do you have
any other ideas?

Thanks,

Greg Mader