Inifinitive retransmission and timeout

MHC chiumh@ms15.hinet.net
Tue Aug 25 21:33:21 1998

> > It suffers the same problem, except printing with  more
> > verbosome error messages.
>
> What is the exact error message?  Just the numbers will do:
> " status %2.2x %4.4x media %2.2x.\n",

something like:eth0: Transmit timeout status 0d 0000 media 08eth0: Tx queue, start
entry 271 dirty 271eth0: Transmit timeout status 0d 0000 media 08eth0: Tx queue,
start entry 315 dirty 311

{eth0: Transmit timeout status 0d 0000 media 08eth0: Tx queue, start entry 4 dirty
0
} +   ..... repeat ..

> Does the chip restart after the timeout?  (It should -- there is a complete
> reset.)

 It seems that with 1.00F, the retranmission will be stopped if application
is killed and I enter CTL-C to restore the shell prompt from console.
But the chip isn't reset to operational state. As I tried  to 'ping' somewhere
the timeout messages appeared again. There was once that the whole
console was locked and I must restart my machine with H/W reset,
which I haven't experienced with 0.99B.

I can quite sure that it's related to a concurrent IDE-PCI
bus activity (copying a lot of large files from a HD to
another in the background).

Regards
M.H. Chou