[netdrivers] Re: [driver-announce] Updated mii-diag.c v2.09 9/06/2003 (fwd)

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Mon Sep 8 11:42:02 2003

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Bogdan Costescu wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Sep 2003, Donald Becker wrote:
>
> > [[ I suggst distributions install 'mii-diag' with the name 'netif-config' ]]
>
> Why ??? All Scyld (and other) mailing list archives mention 'mii-diag' as
> the program to use when dealing with media problems. On the other hand,
> I'd understand if the whole '-diag' package including the card specific
> programs would be installed as 'netif-config'...

I see your point.

In this case, 'mii-diag' isn't descriptive of the general purpose nature
of the tool.  Many of the the other programs configure and diagnose
hardware-specific problems, while 'mii-diag' is hardware independent.

Perhaps I should rename the package to 'netif-config'.
What would be a descriptive name for 'mii-diag'?  How about
'a-command-to-configure-network-transceivers-and-driver-parameters'
or is that too long?

--
Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993